Wednesday, March 21, 2012

1st Birthday in Pictures

Imagine what a horrible memory Holden's 1st Birthday would have been if we actually consumed all of the beer and 4 bottles of wine we bought. 


Here you see my decorating skills transform my tiny, semi-crappy apartment into balloonimation party land. Disclaimer: Holden and the dog insist we keep that junky box there because it's basically their clubhouse.

Adorable picture of Holden conversing with his great grandpa.

Considering his first cupcake.

Indulging in his first cupcake.

Sharing first cupcake with mommy. <3

Satisfied by first cupcake.

Sugar'd up and ready to party.

Operation 1st Birthday was a success. Holden has so many toys now that lately the most common thing to upset him is an inability to decide what to play with. A handful of VIPs bearing gifts attended the partay and didn't even complain about having to sit on the hard wood floor. Holden was in a fantastic mood all day, and no one cried, not even me. (Not until the next day anyway, when I looked through all 1458 pictures on my phone, spanning early pregnancy to first cupcake experience.) Despite the overpriced shi-shi cupcakes, abundant supply of alcohol, excessive snacks, and plethora of toys, the highlight for Holden definitely turned out to be balloons. My party-planning strategy (developed the night before around 7:30 pm), was that this will be the last children's birthday party we ever throw that will mainly be for adults. I embraced that concept, but still turned down a suggestion to buy an assortment of Mexican beer and serve nachos and salsa. I'm no Martha Stewart, still, something about a Fiesta-themed 1st birthday party felt a tequila shot away from being way tacky. And now, prepare to wonder if I'm covered in neon orange and yellow tape, because I'm about to get reflective up in here...

The day I had Holden I was convinced I was feeling the best feeling in the entire world. I couldn't fathom life getting any better than it was the first moment I held him. The truth is, he is more of a miracle every day, and every day I love him more. He's evolved from blob to fun, interactive, intelligent human being! He walks, side steps, runs, climbs and sometimes stands up, then bends down and looks behind him through his legs like a weirdo. He uses signs for water, milk, more, all done, bye, and book. He says mama, dada, book, ball, doggy, hi, bye bye, and mumbles I love you. He gently pets the dog, runs around the house, hides blocks in my shoes, swiffers the floors, flips through books as he points at pictures and attempts words. He kisses, he hugs, he laughs, and he has a fake cry when he just wants his way. He'll eat absolutely anything he can feed himself, he brushes his own teeth and tries to brush mine too. He hides under blankets then springs up to surprise you as he erupts in fits of giggles. He dances and bobs his head to music. He claps when he does something he knows is good and points at things he's not supposed to get into, shakes his head and says "no!" He gives me a reason to get up every morning, to hurry home from work, to be a better person. He's made me learn to live in and cherish every moment because everything goes by too fast, and time is too precious to waste wishing for anything different. He's taught me to respect my mother in a new way, and that nothing is more important than family. Because of him I can understand, appreciate, and give unconditional love. Looking back my world without him seems so small and empty. Yes, in this year I've seen more exhaustion, frustration, and bodily fluids than I thought I was capable of surviving, but I feel more alive and whole than I've ever been. Thank you Holden for being you and for the best year so far!

2 comments:

  1. Love it -- Great pics! And your apartment looks really gorgeous actually. I love hard wood floors! (Although we only had them at one apartment and I hated it and swore I only wanted carpet ever again! But seriously, yours look great and I'm jealous.)

    Like I said before, it's wise to make it an adult party. That was my rookie mistake for sure. Too bad I'll have an older kid at my second child's 1st birthday and have no chance at a re-do. But I will be more relaxed, as it appears you were.

    We are totally doing a ball & balloon party for his 2nd birthday if he is still as obsessed with balls as he is now. Which I suspect he will be. He says "ball!" more than any other word by FAR. Second most is "go". What a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really love my apartment. I'd be more proud if I decorated it better. I love the floors. They can be a major pain - learning to walk on hardwood sucked for Holden, and if I don't sweep everywhere once a day they're disgusting. But the amount of dirt I sweep up daily makes me so disgusted by what must be in everyone's carpets. Plus dog accidents (or on-purposes) are much easier to clean up!

    Your advice helped so much! I decided to just enjoy having a day to spend with people I like and with Holden and it was perfect.

    Our children have similar interests because Holden's favorite word may be ball. A ball and balloon party certainly sounds like a lot of baby fun!

    ReplyDelete